03 July, 2016

NYC: 44 & X



I stumbled across this restaurant when we were on our way home in an Uber. We drove past and I saw that it looked perfect for our next date night, just from the exterior. It had a pretty setting with twinkle lights, candles and beautiful outdoor seating. I put it in my memory bank for when we were in need of our next nice dinner.

We already had plans to visit Rudy's Bar & Grill that night and we weren't too sure what to expect but it is on my list of 101 things to do in New York (which I got from Time Out) and we were determined to tick it off. We both envisioned Rudy's to be a true American diner type setting, with big American greasy meals; burgers, hotdogs, pizza pies and cheesy fries but we were very wrong! We walked into Rudy's to find it was your true American dive bar where the only meal you're going to get is a beer with a side of hotdog. We stayed for a pre-dinner drink or two as the setting wasn't bad and they had some good old school rock tunes on the jukebox and by old school I mean the 90's with a few ACDC hits thrown in here and there.

But since Rudy's Bar & Grill did not turn out to be what we envisioned, we were in need of a place to dine. So with 44 & X fresh in my memory bank we made our way down there and I am very happy we did, as the meal I had there is by far one of the best meals I have had in New York so far.

It was a win from the very start when they had Ed's favourite wine on the menu; L'etourneau. The service was great with attentive waiters that were knowledgable about the menu. We shared a starter or an appetizer should I say?! which was a beautifully delicious blue claw crab fritter. For main or better known as entree in the US I had the pan seared filet mignon medium. Now I'm not a big red meat eater, I don't like the taste so much or texture and I usually don't eat it unless it's cooked very well done! But sometimes when I look at a menu I just know when the beef is going to be the best choice and I was definitely right this time. My knife just sliced through it like butter and it was melt in your mouth good, the port wine jus was to die for and the potato au gratin was the perfect side. Let's just say Ed had major food envy and stare me down while I took every single bite. To finish off the night I had an all american cherry pie with vanilla macadamia gelato.

44 & X is a must try for your next date night, special occasion, meal out!








Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment