11 September, 2016

NYC: Top 5 (edition 1)

The view of Manhattan from my apartments rooftop in Brooklyn


I've been living in New York for almost four months now and have barely scratched the surface. There is just so much to do and see here! You could live here for a lifetime and still not get to cover the entire City!

I thought it might be a good idea to start doing monthly or bi-monthly posts on my top 5 things to do here in New York City and hopefully for anyone reading or anyone planning a trip, it will give you some good ideas on things to do that maybe you never would of thought of or didn't know about.

I'll post on a mix of touristy things and just your average day to day things, including some great restaurants to eat at. I know when I travel somewhere new I like to see all the major attractions but I also like to get a feel for what the locals do and what it would be like to live there.

I apologise in advance as all of my top 5 picks for this post are in Brooklyn but I've just moved to the area and have been spending most of my time recently getting to know it better. So far I find Brooklyn to be a great place to live, as it is a little more relaxed than Manhattan, it has a young vibe to it and plenty of restaurants, cafes, bars and shops to explore. As one New Yorker described it "it's hoppin'! it's a hoppin' place".

Dumbo Flea Markets




















The Dumbo Flea Markets are on every Sunday under the Manhattan Bridge on Water Street from 10am to 5pm. It has a range of stalls from handmade jewellers, to unique custom made furniture pieces to pre-loved goods and antiques. You can also pick up some yummy treats if you work up an appetite or thirst.

I loved these markets as I could pick out something I wanted from almost every stall and it wasn't a matter of trolling through junk to find a hidden treasure!

The markets are a great starting point for the day as well, as you can then walk down to visit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade and it's amazing views or you can catch the ferry up to Williamsburg for a spot of lunch and more shopping.

The A and C subway line will get you the closest to the markets, getting off at High Street.

Nitehawk Cinema




The Nitehawk cinema is a great option for if you are tired from walking all day but don't want to waste an evening lying around in your hotel/air bnb room.

The Nitehawk is a trendy little independent cinema that offers dinner and a show. The cinema's are only small and run a select few films each month but what I loved about it is the table service! Get in ten to fifteen minutes before your film starts and place your dinner and drink order (alcohol beverages are supplied) on the notepads provided and a waiter will come and collect it. The food options are your classic american foods, such as; grilled cheese (cheese toastie for the Aussies), burgers, tater tots etc. Once your finished with your meal, you may feel like some popcorn? candy? ice cream? another drink? just jot it down on the notepad and the waiter will get onto it!

The Nitehawk cinema is located on Metropolitan Avenue and the best way to travel there is on the L train and get off at Bedford Avenue. A sneaky little secret is the cupcake shop across the road Sweet Haus has a whole wall of candy!

Brooklyn Heights Promenade





I previously wrote about Brooklyn Heights in my Brooklyn in a Day post and how I immediately fell in love with this place. The Brooklyn Heights Promenade is a must, must visit! Simply for it's breathtaking views of the Statue of Liberty, the East River and the East Village in Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Empire State Building in the distance. The streets of Brooklyn Heights are great to have an explore through also; as they are filled with beautiful 19th century brownstone row houses.

Catch the R line subway to Court Street and walk straight down Montague Street.

Brooklyn Bridge





I've had walk the Brooklyn Bridge on my to do list since I first visited New York in 2012 and never got around to doing it. When my Mum and Aunty came to town for a visit, we all finally got to tick it off our lists together. It was their last day here and we arrived at the bridge on the Manhattan side around mid-morning but unfortunately I think the rest of New York City had arrived just before us! The bridge was jam packed full of people but it did not deter from the experience or the amazing views the bridge has to offer. Just look out for the bike riders!

The bridge doesn't take too long to walk, maybe 15 - 30 minutes, it just depends on how many photo stops you make or as my Mum likes to do, take time out to "carpe diem". To walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn catch the 6 subway to Brooklyn Bridge City Hall or the J-Z to Chambers Street and it places you right at the beginning of the bridge.

Joe's Pizza




It is a must that you try a big pizza pie or at least a pizza slice when you come to New York. They make them with fresh ingredients, a thin base, thick crust and with simple but tasty ingredients.

Joe's Pizza is a very famous spot with many, many celebrities visiting to get their pizza fix. Their main location is on Carmine Street in Manhattan but of course I visited their Bedford Avenue shop in Brooklyn.

I'm getting hungry just typing about it!

Now I'm off on more adventures and I'll be back soon with more top 5's to do in New York City!


1 comment:

  1. I bet there is so much to do there! Looks like you are already get a good grip on Brooklyn...!!! P.s I adore the look of American pizzas!

    Megan
    Denton & Lou 

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment